River District Centre Wins Urban Development Institute's Award of Excellence
On October 26, 2012, The Urban Development Institute – Pacific Region (UDI) presented its ‘Awards for Excellence’ at a gala event recognizing and celebrating outstanding urban development projects across BC. ParkLane Homes’ River District Centre was among the winner’s circle, taking home the ‘Best Outside the Box’ award.
The prestigious UDI ‘Awards for Excellence’ are presented to distinguished projects that fulfill an extensive list of criteria, including: integration into the community, innovative communications and marketing, innovative design features and sustainable building and landscape features.
As an innovative approach to real estate marketing and community engagement, River District Centre (RDC) stood out in a class of its own. The 6,200SF Centre communicates the vision for the River District project using a state-of-the-art model and interactive exhibits. It also generates project awareness and engages the surrounding community through a variety of partnerships, activities and events that bring both the young and the young-at-heart to the area:
- South Vancouver Family Place, a non-profit organization, leads programs for children.
- Urban Rec, a sport and social club, built beach volleyball courts on-site and organizes summer leagues at River District.
- Fit4Two, post-natal fitness experts, offers stroller fitness and infant massage.
- Sunshine Yoga and Tula Holistic provide weekly yoga instruction.
- RDC staff organizes and hosts a farmers market, movie afternoons, story-time, scavenger hunts, knitting club, games afternoons and special events that celebrate annual milestones and holidays.
- Romer’s Burger Bar attracts diners and animates the area.
All of these components have transformed River District into an animated and vibrant place with a real sense of community.
ParkLane Homes is developing River District into Southeast Vancouver’s newest and largest waterfront community. Covering an expansive 130 acres, River District will be built out over the next 15-20 years. River District will be a complete community with 15,000 residents, 7,000 multi-family homes, a commercial mixed-use core, two schools, community centre, child care centres, 25 acres of parks and 1.5 kilometers of waterfront access. In the first phase, ParkLane’s builder-partner, Polygon Homes, is constructing townhomes and two apartment buildings on-site.
ParkLane Homes and the River District team feel truly honoured to be recognized at the UDI ‘Awards for Excellence’. The team thanks the Urban Development Institute and congratulates all the winners and nominees for their continued dedication to outstanding innovative and sustainable development in BC.
Read more in the The Vancouver Sun, here.
Read more in the Georgia Straight, here.
Read more in Buzz Buzz Homes’ blog, here.